Are you getting all the nutrients you need from your diet?
Ideally, we’d get all of our nutrients from whole, unprocessed foods, especially fruits and vegetables, but the fact is we often don’t and often we need to turn to a multivitamin to give us a boost to our diet in times of need.
When we don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables, or we don’t get the variety that we need to get a full spectrum of nutrients, we miss getting enough of the minerals and micronutrients that our bodies need to optimally function.
The UK Government guidelines state that adults should consume 5 servings of fruit and vegetables daily. Yet, often this is consumed with the same fruits over and over and often with more focus on fruit rather than vegetables, we can miss certain nutrients.
So how can you ensure you’re getting enough nutrients?
A multivitamin is one way of providing ‘coverage’ for a wide range of vitamins and minerals. It’s particularly useful in times when you aren’t well, aren’t eating a good variety of healthy foods and in winter, when we don’t get as much sunlight and import a lot of our foods which may lack nutrients.
One company I have been using for the last few months which I have come to love is WeAreFeel and they offer superb multivitamins which cover all your needs. You could think of a multivitamin is like an insurance policy, a daily guarantee to ensure your body gets the vitamins and minerals it needs. Taking something like the Feel Multivitamin can make up for the shortfalls that happen when you don’t get what you need through food.
By only using the highest quality natural ingredients, Feel have created a multivitamin with no fillers and no additives. There is also no unnecessary ingredients or ridiculously high daily doses and no excess packaging.
Can I take a multivitamin if I have a heart condition?
If you have a heart condition and take medications, your body also becomes depleted in certain nutrients as your body works harder to breakdown medications, heal wounds, fight infections and for our cells to generate energy. Vitamins B1, B2, B6, K1, Niacin (B3), CoQ10 and magnesium, all play a role in cardiovascular health and often it’s difficult to get enough of these from foods. Taking a statin for example disrupts the production of CoQ10 in the body, which is an important enzyme that helps to produce energy in our cells.
The most important thing is to check with your doctor or pharmacist to ensure that there is no reason not to take any vitamins or supplements.
How do I know which brand to take?
There are so many brands out there but the most important thing to look for is the QUALITY of ingredients along with the dosages of the nutrients. Otherwise you may just end up with expensive wee or ingesting harmful fillers (and we get enough of those through medications!).
I’ve been recommending the Feel Multivitamin to my clients as it not only contains the usual ‘multi’ components, it also contains some of my favourite heart healthy supplements that I would normally recommend separately. This includes CoQ10 for energy (read all about why I love CoQ10 here) and Tumeric for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Here’s why I’ve been loving my Feel Multivitamin:
- Healthy ageing: As we age, our nutritional needs increase. At the same time, it gets harder for the body to absorb nutrients. Medications can further deplete our body of nutrients. A multivitamin can offset these deficiencies, especially if your appetite is poor or you aren’t eating enough fruit and vegetables.
- Good for your heart: There are so many heart-happy nutrients in here. I could write a whole essay on each! Firstly, CoQ10, which statins deplete (1). Next up, reishi mushroom (preliminary studies show it may help increase out ‘good’ HDL cholesterol (2)). Thirdly, Vitamin K2 (3) which is essential to build and maintain strong bones, as well as to avoid calcium deposits in the arteries and blood vessels. Also, it contains a good dosage of B Vitamins, which help to decrease fatigue in Hearties who suffer with low energy levels.
- Stabilise blood sugar levels: It contains a good dosage of chromium, a mineral that can help to balance your blood sugar levels and reduce sugar cravings. This helps you resist the sugary snacks in the afternoon!
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant known for strengthening the immune system. Vitamins D and E boost immunity, too. These vitamins can also help reduce allergy symptoms. Reishi Mushroom has also been shown to boost immunity.
- Supports eye health: Vitamins A, C, E, Niacin (B3), and selenium support eye health. Lutein also protect the eyes from harmful light waves. Those of you with eye strain and on medications like Amioderone may have noticed your eyesight deteriorate and taking these nutrients may help.
- Contains water-soluble vitamins in a good amount: Excess fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are stored in the body. Water-soluble vitamins (B and C) are not. Excess water-soluble vitamins simply travel through the body. This means it’s necessary to take these essential vitamins on a daily basis. It’s also why your wee goes orange when you take something with B vitamins in them!
- Healthy hair and skin: My Hearties often say that their hair has become thinner and their skin bruises easily due to the medications that they are on. A few weeks after taking the Feel Multi, most report that their skin texture has improved and hair feels better. As you may know, I’ve had chronic eczema for months and it’s definitely helped my skin feel less inflamed.
- Increase in energy: Thanks in large part to good dose of the Vitamin B family, the Feel Multivitamin has given my clients a boost in energy levels, feelings of well being, as well as a decrease in stress and anxiety. The CoQ10 also helps the mitochondria in cells to produce energy. The energy improvement alone makes it worth trying! It took around 3 weeks to start seeing this benefit.
- Plastic free: Something we have all become more conscious of lately is the amount of plastic we use. WeAreFeel arrives monthly in cardboard, with a paper pouch that is recyclable. Considering the plastic labels and white pots means standard supplements are usually not recyclable, cutting down on plastic is always a good thing!
- They’re a UK brand. The UK has some of the world’s strictest conditions in terms of manufacturing supplements and it’s always great to support a British brand. They are also a reasonable price and by getting them delivered to your door means you won’t run out and forget to buy them for weeks!
If you’re looking for a multivitamin, WeAreFeel are doing a new customer deal for Healthy Hearties readers this month – 50% off your first month’s order! Simply click here to get your first box and enter the code PARTNER50 at the checkout. They will be delivered super quick to your front door! Let me know how you get on!
note: this post contains affiliate links.