Happy October! Whilst it may now be officially Autumn, I’m holding out hope that this fantastic weather will last. The days still feel long, there isn’t a need to carry more than one layer and I haven’t yet been taking an umbrella. Long may it last!
October is a bit of a nothing month – not as much going on as other times of the year – so it is traditionally been a good time to address any long standing issues, such as poor diet, smoking, alcohol etc and get into a new healthy routine. There are several campaigns going during October – Stoptober (to quit smoking) and Sobertober (no alcohol for a month). Research has shown that people who stick to a new habit for 28 days are more likely to keep that habit for life. So why don’t we all start a new habit or give something up for October? Mine is going to be alcohol (I actually started this on the August Bank Holiday) and chocolate. Now I don’t miss the alcohol as I don’t drink very often, so the chocolate will be the hard part!
What could you give up for 1 month? You never know, you may even feel better without it and keep it going…
October is a particularly auspicious month for giving up vices. The summer is behind you. But it’s also an opportunity to you’re your willpower before the Christmas party season in November and December, where things MAY be consumed in excess.
Here are some other healthy snack ideas to replace chocolate. Consuming a small, protein based snack morning and afternoon helps to stabilize your blood sugars, reducing that craving for something sweet at 4pm and after dinner.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins
- Punnet of blueberries and scoop of natural yoghurt
- Rice cakes with peanut butter
- 1 Hardboiled egg
- Small pot of fruit yogurt + handful of nuts
- Nuts or nut mix (stick to just a handful)
- Vegetable sticks with a little packet of dip like hummus or tzatziki
- 4 cubes of cheddar cheese and an apple
- Cooked chicken pieces (you can buy 100g flavoured cooked chicken in most supermarkets)
- 1 slice of Vogel bread with peanut or almond butter
- Cottage cheese with berries (sounds strange but somehow tastes good!)
- A cup of herbal tea gives you something to do if it’s boredom that is leading you to the fridge!
- Green smoothie – almond milk, ice, 1/2 banana, handful spinach, handful of kale, scoop of protein powder and blend. N.B. If you are on Warfarin please note that the greens may reduce your INR.
Let me know what you are giving up and I will help support you along the way.